We are pleased to announce the2018 course dates at the Hicks International Training Centre in Goa where we will be offering ABC courses for newly graduated vets, veterinary students in their 3rd/4th or final year . Whether you are looking to enhance your surgical skills or refresh them this two week course will provide you with a practically focused experience in Northern Goa.
Courses will run throughout the year in two week blocks in 2018
- Based in Assagao, North Goa, students will arrive on a Sunday to begin their training Monday morning. With a focus on practical surgical techniques alongside some small group lectures incorporating the strategic implementation of One Health programmes, students will benefit from a hands on experience geared to enhance veterinary education.
- Aside from learning aspects of shelter medicine, students will additionally spend one day each week out with the dog catching teams - always a highlight and can be a welcomed break from a day of surgical training.
- Your two weeks will be split between the Hicks International Training Centre and our Northern Goa field clinic. Each course can facilitate 4 international students and costs include all accommodation, food, training and transportation within Goa (including pick up/ drop off at the airport).
- The weekend break will enable you to experience a diving safari, a trip to old Goa as well as some chill out time on the famous Goan beaches.
- Finishing on the second Friday, you will be awarded your training certificates and be able to return on the Saturday morning fired up, energised and confident in some of the key skills you will have learnt. Costs - including everything except insurance and flights, total £475 per week.
- Participants from India, Bangladesh Nepal and Sri Lanka please apply to Dr Karllette in Goa e mail Karlette@wvs.org.uk
- Arriving on Sunday. The course will run from Monday to Friday
- You will spend 4 days of a week at the Hicks International Training Centre where you will be focused on enhanceing your surgical skills with 1 day spent with the Mission Rabies dog catching team.
- The second week will consist of 4 days based at the outreach clinic and focusing on shelter medicine with 1 day working alongside the Mission Rabies dog catching and education team
- Weekends are at your leisure - You may wish to embark on a trip to the beach and Old Goa or perhaps a diving excursion (to be arranged independently)
Available to 4th or final year veterinary students or recently graduated vets
What to pack
Volunteers should take practical / comfortable clothes to work in e.g (scrubs). If you would like to purchase a WVS scrub top please contact the office or visit our online shop.
- Practical / comfortable clothes to work in (eg. scrubs)
- Wet weather gear and warm clothing for the evenings
- Bug spray
- Ear plugs and eye mask
- Prescriptions & over-the-counter medication (eg. Imodium, Paracetemol etc)
The project may be extremely short on certain supplies and would likely be very grateful for donations. Please get in touch with us to find out if there is anything in particular that would be helpful to bring with you. If you have any spare room in your bag on the outbound flight, it would be highly appreciated if you are able to bring some spare supplies to use during your trip. This is at your discretion and entirely optional.
It is essential that you obtain comprehensive travel insurance for this project which also covers you for veterinary work. We recommend Go Walkabout who offer tailor made travel insurance policies for WVS volunteers. Please note that fully paid members of WVS also receive a 10% discount on Go Walkabout policies.
Health & Vaccinations
This information should be used as a guide only. For up to date information on immunisations please consult your doctor. You will need to allow plenty of time before travelling for your immunisations to be effective. DO NOT LEAVE THIS UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE. As you will be working with animals the Rabies and Tetanus vaccines are essential. We have provided links below to websites with useful information on immunisations and travel advice which we highly recommend that you visit.
- www.fco.gov.uk - Website of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for travel advice generally and specifically by Country.
- www.lonelyplanet.com - For help travel advice
- www.nathnac.org - Useful information on immunisations required for travel
- www.mdtravelhealth.com - Helpful travel advice website, updated daily.
UK passport holders are required to obtain a visa before travelling. Please visit the Foreign Commonwealth Office website for further details: www.fco.gov.uk. All WVS volunteers are required to organise their own visas.
|Sat 20th Jan 2018||Sat 3rd Feb 2018|
|Sat 3rd Feb 2018||Sat 17th Feb 2018|
|Sat 17th Feb 2018||Sat 3rd Mar 2018|
|Sat 3rd Mar 2018||Sat 17th Mar 2018|
|Sun 18th Mar 2018||Sat 31st Mar 2018|
|Sat 14th Apr 2018||Sat 28th Apr 2018|
|Sat 28th Apr 2018||Sat 12th May 2018|
|Sat 12th May 2018||Sat 26th May 2018|
|Sat 26th May 2018||Sat 9th Jun 2018|
|Sat 9th Jun 2018||Sat 23rd Jun 2018|
|Sat 23rd Jun 2018||Sat 7th Jul 2018|
|Sat 28th Jul 2018||Sat 11th Aug 2018|
|Sat 11th Aug 2018||Sat 25th Aug 2018|
|Sat 25th Aug 2018||Sat 8th Sep 2018|
|Sat 8th Sep 2018||Sat 22nd Sep 2018|
|Sat 22nd Sep 2018||Sat 6th Oct 2018|
|Sat 6th Oct 2018||Sat 20th Oct 2018|
|Sat 20th Oct 2018||Sat 3rd Nov 2018|
|Sat 3rd Nov 2018||Sat 17th Nov 2018|
|Sat 17th Nov 2018||Sat 1st Dec 2018|
|Sat 1st Dec 2018||Sat 15th Dec 2018|
|Join us on one of these trips… Interested?|